Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new OdinBlades Peacemaker review (warder pic added)Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: My new OdinBlades Peacemaker review (warder pic added)         Reply with quote

My Peacemaker from John Lundemo of OdinBlades arrived on Friday. What follows is my review of the sword.

The Peacemaker is, in my opinion, one of John’s more historical designs. As I already own a Warder variant (that I am very pleased with) I was interested in acquiring something from him in a more traditional vein while still retaining John’s individual style. The statistics of the sword are:

Overall Length: 49.75”
Blade Length: 37”
Width of Cross: 10.75”
Blade width at ricasso: 1.13”
Blade width at flare: 2”
Blade width 1” from tip: .75”
Grip Length: 9” (12.25” including pommel)
Weight: 3lbs. 9oz.
POB: 5.85” from the cross
COP: 24” from the cross

Initial Impressions
The sword was packed in John’s usual method…a well made wooden crate. I must commend him on his packing! Short of being intentionally run over by a forklift or something similar I find it hard to imagine anything damaging a sword shipped from him to a customer. My initial impression was one of size…this is certainly the largest sword I currently own. I asked John for a blade that would be suitable for use with German longsword techniques and that would also be very strong in the cut and I feel that he has delivered admirably. As I am no expert by any means with the Oakeshott typology, I would say that the blade would be a modified type XIIa (the modification being the flared ricasso). The blade is fullered for 32 “ of its length and ends in a point that is suitable to the thrust. The sword is dismountable with a forged tang ending in 5/16” threads.

Fit and Finish
I would describe the blade finish as a highly polished satin. The sword’s edge is very sharp and is of convex (or “apple seed”) type. There are no discernable secondary bevels.
The fullers are straight and clean. The hilt is of two sections of amboyna burl that has been dyed blue at my request. The patterns of the wood combine with the dye create a very attractive look, although I realized it does not suit all tastes. The file worked steel ferrules at cross, mid grip and at the pommel are well done and there are no gaps or rattles of any kind. The cross and pommel are of steel (not castings) and have been darkened. The cross also has decorative motifs worked near the grip on each side. The darkened fittings, blued grip, and black leather scabbard (also made by John and possessing a “vine” carving at the tip) combine to give the sword an ominous look when sheathed. I would describe the overall fit and finish as excellent.

Handling Characteristics
The sword is well balanced and, even though there is certainly a sense of blade presence, has a lively “feel” in the hand. Although obviously designed for two-hand use, it is easy to wield in one hand as well. The sword tracks well and changes in direction are relatively easy. The only cutting media I have available at present are the ubiquitous “pool noodles” but the sword flashed through them with no effort at all. Having cut heavier targets with my other OdinBlades sword I have no doubt the Peacemaker will do boon service on the heaviest of goza or leather armor. Thrusts into 3” cardboard wrapped in an old gambeson (all I had at the time..LOL) penetrated fully with little effort.

Overall, I am very pleased with my new sword and look forward to many years of service from it. I highly recommend this model to anyone looking for a long/war sword with responsive handling characteristics and authortiy in the cut.

My apologies for the poor pictures!

James

Attachment: 118.61 KB
In hand.JPG

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs

Last edited by J.G. Grubbs on Mon 05 Apr, 2004 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: More pics         Reply with quote

Another pic..

Attachment: 80.98 KB
Hilt.JPG

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Pic #3         Reply with quote

Sorry for the bandwidth usage...I can't seem to get multple pics to post.

Attachment: 93.86 KB
Overall.JPG

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the fine looking sword J.G.!

It has a very sleek, clean appearance that I like very much.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats, J.G.! While the hilt components are not exactly my personal taste, that blade looks fantastic. I agree with Patrick, those lines are very sleek and clean, something that takes a great eye for detail to create. A lot of people claim that hand forged swords are supposed to have wavy lines in the finish, but here's a perfect example of one that doesn't. (Besides which, the wavy lines that most people think of as "hammer marks" are actually from uneven grinding and not forging anyway.)
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick and Bill. We were looking to have an elegant design. i think John came through very well Big Grin

Regards,

James

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Great Looking sword         Reply with quote

I love the ricasso! Big Grin John's work is getting better and better. Beautiful sword.
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Great Looking sword         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
I love the ricasso! Big Grin John's work is getting better and better. Beautiful sword.

Thanks Joel! Here is another pic of the grip that shows the "mosaic" of colors involved. it really does look solid blue at any distance. It also shows the detail in the mid grip ferrule.

Attachment: 24.53 KB
hilt colors 003.jpg

Attachment: 24.53 KB
hilt colors 003.jpg

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
W. Patrick McGuigan

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations. Very nice!

I've always liked the look of John's blades. Just something about the finish that really appeals to me. Awesome Cool .
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on a fine new sword, James !

May she serve you well , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much, W.Patrick and Mac! I really appreciate it.

Regards,

James

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've liked the Peacemaker since I first saw it on John's site. Thanks for the close ups of the hilt. I really love the guard and pommel. I'm still not a big fan of that ricasso but you've got yourself a fine looking sword there. Weight and balance sound nice, too.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,
Good write up,
Sweet sword,
Sweet ricasso,
Congrats,
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overall pic

Attachment: 119.21 KB
sword 001.jpg

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Love that slice too         Reply with quote

John has some nice stuff on hs site. The slice 3D I am in love with. Alas, I hav etoo many mistresses.

Attachment: 79.01 KB
slice3d.jpg

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Love that slice too         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
John has some nice stuff on hs site. The slice 3D I am in love with. Alas, I hav etoo many mistresses.

I happen to like that one as well. At one point I had considered placing an order with John for this very sword, for review and eval purposes. We did discuss it a bit, but the deal never materialized.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John certainly has some interesting designs (as my suffering wallet can attest! LOL) I also have a Warder, one his his more fantasy inspired pieces and am extremely happy with it as well. I've never really done a formal review but I may have to someday. This sword reminds me very much of a Swiss saber, but with a ring hilt. Lots of Asian/Near Eastern influences as well. Here is a pic of the hilt. The cross is also "twisted" with floral terminals:

Attachment: 73.57 KB
Warder.jpg

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs

Last edited by J.G. Grubbs on Tue 06 Apr, 2004 6:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Wonder if I like....         Reply with quote

.....that Warder?.... Big Grin Happy My mantra lately has seemed to be something along the lines of 'must have 2 hand saber, must have....'. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. Sad
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just gonna borrow your Peacemaker for a little while... *yoink!*
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
I'm just gonna borrow your Peacemaker for a little while... *yoink!*

SSUUURRREEE you will....LOL

James

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new OdinBlades Peacemaker review (warder pic added)Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic