Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A strange case of armour plagiarism? Can someone explain it? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Anna G.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
James Gillespie - thank you for that! You're an ace.

That portrait looks like it might be of someone from the House of Orange. At first I thought it might have been Justin of Nassau, the son of William the Silent, late in life, but the eyes don't quite match, although the overall shape of the face does. Where did you find that portrait, Nathan?

It's a portait of Herzog August der Jangere von Braunschweig-Wolfenbuttel.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_the_You...3%BCneburg
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anna beat me to it, but I'll add that there is a sometimes useful tool for those who'd like to locate the online origin of a pic they have on their HD : the TinEye reverse image search engine. In the case of Nathan's pic, it certainly works : http://www.tineye.com/search/46ea70dc86e075e7...98e89250c/
(will expire in 72 hours)
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case anyone still cares, the helmet from this armour also shows up in a portrait of Charles William Ferdinand, a later Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. It is sitting on the red table at the far left. I guess the armour remained in the family of the Dukes of Brunswick as an heirloom and was sufficiently honored to be represented in the portrait as a symbol of the family.

Pastime With Good Company
Anna G.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
In case anyone still cares, the helmet from this armour also shows up in a portrait of Charles William Ferdinand, a later Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. It is sitting on the red table at the far left.

Thank you for that image! ))

Quote:
I guess the armour remained in the family of the Dukes of Brunswick as an heirloom and was sufficiently honored to be represented in the portrait as a symbol of the family.

About 1928 it was in Veltheim family in Castle Harbke as historical relic.
Robert Faleer

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Sullivan wrote:
Adam,

It is by Nicolas Hilliard and is very similar to the one posted elsewhere on this site, but displays much more armor. It is one of 250 miniatures in the group donated by a Mr. and Mrs. Star in 1958 and 1965.

Guess the "Pendragon" armor is lost since gone, but in Stones Glossary (originally published in the 1930s) there is a greave or a set of greaves that have a similar decoration.

Dan

For those still interested in this discussion, Nicholas Hilliard did paint a miniature half-portrait of George Clifford wearing the Greenwich armour. It was part of the collection of Hilliard portraits that Mr. and Mrs. Starr donated to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. I know that the Pendragon Hilliard portrait of the Earl was discussed (along with an image), but I didn't see a mention of this particular portrait. Here is the Nelson-Atkins webpage showing an enlarged image of the portrait: http://www.nelson-atkins.org/art/CollectionDa...e=dec_arts.

Spes potentior viribus.

Y Ddraig Goch ddyry Cychwyn.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A strange case of armour plagiarism? Can someone explain it?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: