Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buying a new longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Anders Lindkvist

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Buying a new longsword         Reply with quote

I´m going to buy a new longsword and I dont really know which to choose. It going to be blunt for fullcontact.

I have tried out alot, Lutels longsword are nice and Povel Moc are also awsome. I dont really sure and can´t deside. The swords from www.swordcutler.com seems good, have anyone tried them?

Do anyone have suggestions or can recommend anything. I can cost about 300-500 dollar.

Best Regards/
Anders

My blog about history, handcrafts and reenactment.
http://kurage.wordpress.com
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're not cheap, man. Laughing Out Loud

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2180

Here's a short discussion about swords from "Swordcutler". I hope this helps.

Personally, I think Lutels have more "machined" look to them, and Pavel Moc's swords are more expensive and his model range is very limited. I recommend Lobko, he won't let you down.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Adam R

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Ther is only one answer         Reply with quote

Hi Anders,

I have had my latest longsword for a few months now, it is perfect. I use it for training in both slow technique and full intent moves, it has handled both perfectly, the only marks are a slight, barely noticable bur on the blade from one of the full on edge on edge contacts it has received, this has now simply dissappeared after a slight touch with a fine file. There are a few marks on the quillons from repeated Zwerchauen, allowable I feel. It has a sturdy blade and an excellent balance, a nicely hollow ground finish. It is entirely custom, but based on a longsword in the Armouries (ref IX.16) example XVII.9 in Oakeshotts Records of the Medieval Sword, it has almost an exact match of weight and dimensions. I opted for slightly more blunt than normal for longevity, but obviously you can choose what you wish.

The chap you (indeed everyone) needs to speak to is Mark Vickers, you can see his site here and get in touch with him from there. Prices are good, workmanship excellent and delivery times very reasonable. What more can I say?

Mention my name, I only wish I were on commission Worried

Adam

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam,
Pictures please sir,
I've got a place in with Mark octoberish,
Bumped into him at a renfaire and he had a customers sword with him,
The Bayerisches sword,records,page 191,
Wow,
Happy
Adam R

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Adam,
Pictures please sir,
I've got a place in with Mark octoberish,
Bumped into him at a renfaire and he had a customers sword with him,
The Bayerisches sword,records,page 191,
Wow,
Happy

Hi Lee,
I'll post some pics when I can get my PC to talk to my camera. It has gone all introvert on me at the moment!
Mark is very good at hitting delivery dates too, my harness is very nearly done pretty much on target! God love 'im Wink

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers Adam,
Although if not in marks que,
The above mentioned makers would have recieved an enquiry,
some fine stuff on the swordcutlers site at the quoted prices,
Happy
Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Okay         Reply with quote

So Adam,

His swords look really nice, and the balance and handling characteristics are good?

What do they cost, in what pricearea are we talking about? Are there any scabbards?

/Anders

Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: ok         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec, these RAdek sword seems to cost about 100 Euro less than Pavel Moc, The finsih is not good as Pavel but is the quality and handlig charachteristics as good as Lutel and Pavel?

/Anders

Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I can hardly give you an answer to that question. Not enough experience with above mentioned makers.

I have only seen two Lutel swords so far, and haven’t had the chance to handle them for a length. Some of their models are in my opinion looking too machine made. But nicely done and with very even finish. I’m also more into earlier swords (13 – 14 th century), so their program of 1 ½ swords doesn’t really suit me. Lutel’s swords are really not very popular here in Slovenia, and to my knowledge in Czech too. They have obviously concentrated on export to USA, and their prices show that.

I have handled a few models of Pavel Moc’s swords – Wagner, Tallhofer, Embleton and one custom made sword. I think they’re a league above Radek Lobko’s swords – much crisper lines, absolutely no waviness to the blade, well made leather grip, and better feel of speed and agility. Custom made sword I saw is a hollow ground XII-ish blade with very broad rebated edge – around 4 or 5 mm wide, but due to hollow grind sword feels very quick and agile and would probably last a lifetime of edge on edge bashing. The only drawback is a great amount of undamped vibration for some reason – blade vibrates too much to my liking during parries and hits.

Lobko’s swords have several drawbacks. They’re not completely evenly made – blades can be a bit wavy, fuller can start to end before it enters the guard, leather grip is not glued too well (at least on some models), swords can be (just) a bit heavier and slower than Moc’s, guard, fittings or the blade itself can be a bit non-symmetrical…

So, comparing Lobko and Moc is difficult. Is the extra cost worth it? In my opinion, no. I can get nearly two Lobko’s swords for one Moc. And the drawbacks are really not seen from couple of yards away, both swords behave very similarly, and both have very “hand made” look to them – not due to any large mistakes or such.

Oh, and by the way – I’m probably not the best person to judge swords and their makers – I have only limited knowledge of swordfighting and I’m just beginning to explore various schools from Fechtbuchs. So take this review with a large dose of salt.

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Anders,
Not Adam but,
The sword of Marks i saw was a sharp as opposed to a blunt,
I picked it up and was really hard pressed to put it down,
Fit and finish were excellent,for the size of the sword it seemed to move effortlessly,
admittedly it was a hollow ground blade,very well finished,no flaws that i could make out,
and i gave it a pretty serious look over,
the pommel had some very nicely done engraving which mark said was done by a gunsmith friend,
Also a couple of loose crossguard's were on his stall both well finished,
As for price,
The first quote i asked about was a hand and a half,
hollow ground blade,complex guard, side rings,
leather over wood,with wire wrap grip,
estimate,£really good, dependant on decoration,
email and ask,pretty suprising,

The fact i couldnt buy the commisioned sword he had with (i did try,cheeky i know)
I asked to go straight on the wait list,
Also saw some fine armour pieces too.
Didnt see a scabbard or enquire as to the prices,so i cant comment on that,
Apart from that all i can say is i saw one sword and asked to book two spots in his backlog six months apart,
Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Radek...         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec, Thanks for the good information, so you think that one of Radeks sword is very priceworth.

Radeks Fridrich III. Emperor of Germany-sword look really nice, I´m going to mail him for more pics of the whole sword.

As it looks now it stands between Radek or Pavel moc....

Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: more about radek?         Reply with quote

Just one more quastion about Radeks sword?

Are the quality so good that it can take alot of violence and beating from other swords? I mean it is going to be used in semi and full contact reenactment fighting.

/Anders

Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Sat 04 Sep, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: more about radek?         Reply with quote

Anders Lindkvist wrote:
Just one more quastion about Radeks sword?

Are the quality so good that it can take alot of violence and beating from other swords? I mean it is going to be used in semi and full contact reenactment fighting.

/Anders

Well, nearly all re-enactors of medieval swordfights here and in Czech Republic use static edge blocks, the worst kind of abuse any sword can experience. And Lobko’s swords (or most other Czech made swords) are built to withstand that – they have around 2.5 to 3 mm rebated edge, well heat treated blade and good fit of hilt components. I know of one of his swords, 3 years old and in constant use (at performances and weekly on training), and apart from shallow nicks across the blade’s length and problems with leather grip ungluing once in a while, it still looks and feels as new and it still has that clean ring of tightly fitted sword.

So I don’t think this sword should be a problem in semi and full contact re-enactment – you won’t damage this sword easily, and due to quite wide rebated edge this sword will not damage other swords and equipment overmuch.

Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: important...         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec, such things are important. You don´t want a sword that look like shit after a couple of weeks. And those evil persons that always parry edge to edge....

I have mailed Radek about prices, and his offers are at the moment the most intresting.

Thanks everyone for the good information. Pictures will be posted on this forum when the weapon arrives...

/Anders

Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: important...         Reply with quote

Anders Lindkvist wrote:
Blaz Berlec, such things are important. You don´t want a sword that look like shit after a couple of weeks. And those evil persons that always parry edge to edge....

/Anders

Hey, watch it, I am one of those evil persons. Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 83.86 KB
evil me.jpg
Who wants to parry with me!!!?

Adam R

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Okay         Reply with quote

Anders Lindkvist wrote:
So Adam,

His swords look really nice, and the balance and handling characteristics are good?

What do they cost, in what pricearea are we talking about? Are there any scabbards?

/Anders

Hi Anders,
I have just got back from our Annual seminar. Mark's sword was handled by many and universally praised, by many people who have been wielding swords in earnest for a long time (John Waller for around 40 years as an example). Mark is becoming very highly spoken of.

His longswords are around £220-£250 (GBP) - Extremely good value for money!

All the best

Adam

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: important...         Reply with quote

Anders Lindkvist wrote:
/Anders

Sorry for the nitpick -and I most certainly don't want to start the old debate again!- but edge-on-parries were without doubt widely used in many fencing systems according to numerous historical manuals; most English backsword, the Bolognese schools of fence and some longsword systems, to name a few. One thing that really bugs me is how some people (and I don't neccessarily mean you, just some WMA folk) instantly associate edge-on-edge parries with Hollywood-style foible-on-foible bashing, which they certainly don't have to be.

Rabbe
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: important...         Reply with quote

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine wrote:

Sorry for the nitpick -and I most certainly don't want to start the old debate again!- but edge-on-parries were without doubt widely used in many fencing systems according to numerous historical manuals; most English backsword, the Bolognese schools of fence and some longsword systems, to name a few. One thing that really bugs me is how some people (and I don't neccessarily mean you, just some WMA folk) instantly associate edge-on-edge parries with Hollywood-style foible-on-foible bashing, which they certainly don't have to be.

Rabbe

'Evil' I think does more refer to the fact that edge-on-edge-blocking might damage your sword, not with the fact it was used (or not). Happy
Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: hmm         Reply with quote

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine wrote:

"One thing that really bugs me is how some people (and I don't neccessarily mean you, just some WMA folk) instantly associate edge-on-edge parries with Hollywood-style foible-on-foible bashing, which they certainly don't have to be. "

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine, ok my fault to overreact. Certinly there are several moves that show edge to edge parries. But my self as a educated knive and blacksmith always try to avoid such things. I know how the steel itself react when great pressure is dealt to small areas. Its all about steelqualities, handcraftskills and how the blade is heattreated. One of the two swords will be the loser, looking on long terms. Swords are just to expensive to be used in such manner. Thats what I think. Parry with the flat edge if possible, if not: shit happens.

But I not very slavish to the manuals.... Happy

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice discussion so far guys, but let's watch the language. (In reference to your description of fecal matter Big Grin )
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buying a new longsword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: