Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buying a new longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mojje Andersson

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: You can always try a swedish sword!!!         Reply with quote

Hi Anders!

I write in english for the rest of the readers!!!

What are you going to use the sword to?
Is it for practice or show?

If you want to you can visit this adress and contact me if you're being interested!
http://www.allebergsklingan.se

Have a nice day!

/Mojje Andersson
Ållebergsklingan, FFx, SWEDEN
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm certainly not advocating edge-on-edge for all situations, just saying that it did happen, and not definitely not always as a last-ditch effort as proposed by some.

Quote:
Evil' I think does more refer to the fact that edge-on-edge-blocking might damage your sword, not with the fact it was used (or not).

Well, any parry is propably going to damage a sword... a bit... but a "proper" edge-on-edge should not harm a sword noticeably more than any other kind. For example, one method found in English backswording is stepping into the opponet's cut, and stifling the attack forte-on-forte.

I'm aware of exactly one historical text (that one is a tad silly anyway...) that says "don't parry with the edge", and numerous that say "parry with the edge" (which can lead in edge-on-edge or edge-on-flat contact at various angles, depending on situation). Some say "do this parry with the flat", too, but never when they are opposing the adversary's blow with force as far as I know.

Quote:
Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine, ok my fault to overreact. Certinly there are several moves that show edge to edge parries. But my self as a educated knive and blacksmith always try to avoid such things. I know how the steel itself react when great pressure is dealt to small areas. Its all about steelqualities, handcraftskills and how the blade is heattreated. One of the two swords will be the loser, looking on long terms. Swords are just to expensive to be used in such manner. Thats what I think. Parry with the flat edge if possible, if not: shit happens.

But I not very slavish to the manuals.... Happy

I don't really see *how* edge parries are supposed to be damaging if done on the forte, especially considering the fact that they don't all have to be *stops*, but can be beats or versetzen as well.

"In this manner, our two swords would meet cross-wise, true edge on true edge."
This is the common parry, taught by all Masters and used by most fencers."

- from Viggiani, courtesy of Tom Leoni.

"... and ward off all blows and thrusts with the front edge, as it is with the displacements"

- Doebringer

In any case, I don't know if it'd be wise to start this debate again... (After all, it's not like I've been starting it, no... *g*)

Rabbe[/quote]
Allen W

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm with you on this Rabbe, however any edge-on-edge parry will damage the sword even when done with the forte. This does not equate to ruining the blade of course and many such nicks can be mitigated with file and stone. I think people get too hung up on the value of the sword (which was decreasing while its production was becoming industrialized) while underestimating the speed with which a blade cuts.
Anders Lindkvist

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: well         Reply with quote

well we shouldn´t draw this too long, I mean I think we all have right in this matter. We can´t really know anything for sure, it all depends on what kind on fencing your into. I reckon that this discussion has no end... Big Grin

This was sure going to alot of emotions that we shouldn´t release here...I save them for the battlefield Happy

SO anyway, I´m going to buy a new sword and that was the main subject, I guess. I´m just waiting for an answer from Radek....

My blog about history, handcrafts and reenactment.
http://kurage.wordpress.com
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems he's very busy right now - he said my order could be finished in January. Shouldn't say all those nice things about his work around...

And yes, Czechs are notorious for not answering e-mails. Most of the sword smiths come from the generation that didn’t learn much English in schools.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: ok...         Reply with quote

Alright then, I have sent him a new mail, so I hope that the answer will come soon. Otherwise I have to look somewhere else....

Well his answers so far ain`t the longest I have seen....

David Evans

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Buying a longsword         Reply with quote

I just know this is going to be a stupid question but I just cann't Not ask it!!! If that makes doesn't sense to the non english speakers amongest us I'm sorry.

I'm ordering a "My first Longsword" from Mark Vickers and he wants to know what type I want. I'm training in Ringeck cos I just like his approach, which seems to be "If in doubt, attack" and I want a sword to work within Ringeck. So, on the Oakeshoot scale of swords, what type do I want? Any examples on the wonderfull Web that I can point Mark to?
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a longsword         Reply with quote

David Evans wrote:
I just know this is going to be a stupid question but I just cann't Not ask it!!! If that makes doesn't sense to the non english speakers amongest us I'm sorry.

I'm ordering a "My first Longsword" from Mark Vickers and he wants to know what type I want. I'm training in Ringeck cos I just like his approach, which seems to be "If in doubt, attack" and I want a sword to work within Ringeck. So, on the Oakeshoot scale of swords, what type do I want? Any examples on the wonderfull Web that I can point Mark to?

Dunno about Oakeshott really (although an XVIIIb might be what you're looking for), but what you'll likely want for German longsword is something long enough to perform single time defences (attack and close a line at the same time), while still light enough to be manouverable, with a good thrusting tip. A good measurement appears to be to place the tip on the ground and see how high the cross is. If it is somewhere near your navel, the sword should work just fine for what you're intending to use it in. A longish grip won't hurt either.

Rabbe
Adam R

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a longsword         Reply with quote

David Evans wrote:

Mines a copy of XVII.9 and works well enough. You could go for a longer blade but the length of the hilt is most important IMHO - again mine is about 11" and works nicely.

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Adam R

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As requested...sorry about the quality, I'm not sure it does it justice...

The main thing to bear in mind with Mark, he's not working from a catalogue! Everything you see is what I asked for. Hilt bindings/finishes/fixtures and fittings as well as blade type/shape/thickness etc etc is all up to you!

Attachment: 121.75 KB
[ Download ]

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Well, times are changing...         Reply with quote

I was so close of order from Radek Lobko and he was so busy now. I would have the sword in january..

And that Albion Squireline was so nice and the sword would be shipped in just acouple of weeks..
I couldnt resist, so I ordered a 13th-14th Great sword! I guess every serious swordsman will own one soon....

Just so you know...

Thans for all help/
Anders

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buying a new longsword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: