Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first Albion: the Crecy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: My first Albion: the Crecy         Reply with quote

Well, she finally came, my first Albion: the Crecy. A beautiful dream in steel, wood, and leather. I had her shipped to my work, and of course, just about everyone wanted to see her. The universal remark was about how light she is. My wife though wasn't too thrilled, having invisioned the money going to a new entertainment system or something else for the house.
Her grip is done in the campaign worn light brown. Since I don't own a digital camera I don't know when I'll get pictures up, but I hope to borrow one soon so I can share. Now all I have to do is build a scabbard for her (something I've never done before so anyone with advice I would greatly appreciate it).

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
My wife though wasn't too thrilled, having invisioned the money going to a new entertainment system or something else for the house.

The Albion NG Crecy is an entertainment system! Who needs to watch TV, when they could be outside cutting, and this sword sings to one, so there's all the music you'll ever need (expect for the songs sung by all of the other Next Gen swords... Razz )

Do try to get some pictures up. I am really curious to see what this one looks like with the light brown grip. I don't have any with that color (it just doesn't call to me like the more vibrant colors do), but I really like the way that it subtely changes the look of a given sword.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

The Albion NG Crecy is an entertainment system! Who needs to watch TV, when they could be outside cutting, and this sword sings to one, so there's all the music you'll ever need (expect for the songs sung by all of the other Next Gen swords... Razz )

Do try to get some pictures up. I am really curious to see what this one looks like with the light brown grip. I don't have any with that color (it just doesn't call to me like the more vibrant colors do), but I really like the way that it subtely changes the look of a given sword.

-Grey

It isn't a great picture but it is a picture... I think I've got some more around I'll see if I can find them when I get home. This one isn't Jonathan's sword, it belongs to a gentlemen currently on active duty in Iraq... or is it Afghanistan... I don't know he couldn't tell me...

The Crecy actually looks really nice in that color.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Jonathan, good luck with the scabbard. Are you going to be cutting with her, or just displaying and dry handling. I know when I ordered my Albion I didn't think I could bring myself to risk cutting with a $680 sword. I was outside the other day playing with it and saw some little tree branches and couldn't resist. What do you plan on using your Crecy for? Are you learning any German Longsword techniques? Just curious.

Enjoy,

Kenton
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'm been thinking on doing some light cutting with her. I'd also like to learn some actual longsword technique, but there's not a lot of resources (that I am aware of anyways) that's near my location, which is south-central PA between York and Gettysburg.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jonathan!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on your first Albion! AND a Crecy at that! I actually wanted a Crecy to begin with BUT some how I ended up with a gorgeous Angust Trim. I look foward to seeing pictures of your Crecy when you get the opportunity.

As far as fencing goes, this link may help you:
http://www.usfencing.org/sectionsDivisions.jsp

Then click on "PA"

Helen
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent choice! It seems to be a pretty popular model, one many people go for as their first sword. Something about the clean, simple elegance of the lines and the proportions...
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jonathan,
Congrats on the new sword. As far as learning some technique from someone in your area, it looks rather grim. I grew up in good ol' Hanover. Nothing but Utz, Snyder's and the golden mile. Christian Tobler and Guy Windsor have great books to help you learn if your willing. Good Luck
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jonathan !

I bought a Crecy last month and it's an outstanding sword, a real joy to wield. Have fun with it !

Cheers,

David
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great sword, my first one as well! I really like the scabbard too!
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations!

That's one of my favorites Cool

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't recieved mine yet, but my Crecy is due to arrive in the next week or two. I'm tickled pink waiting for it and reading these reviews is killing me! This will be my first sword too, so to say I'm excited would be an enormous understatement.

Congrats on your Crecy, I've heard nothing but the highest praises for Albion's pieces, so this discussion continues along that line.

Is that an Albion scabbard? I'm thinking of making my own, but that's sure a good-looking scabbard!

PS: I went with the black grip...
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Smith wrote:
I haven't recieved mine yet, but my Crecy is due to arrive in the next week or two. I'm tickled pink waiting for it and reading these reviews is killing me! This will be my first sword too, so to say I'm excited would be an enormous understatement.

Congrats on your Crecy, I've heard nothing but the highest praises for Albion's pieces, so this discussion continues along that line.

Is that an Albion scabbard? I'm thinking of making my own, but that's sure a good-looking scabbard!

PS: I went with the black grip...

Congratulations on your choice of sword. The beautiful scabbard shown above actually was done by Russ Ellis of Tritonworks for someone else. Mine does not have a scabbard yet, although I might have to commission one from Mr. Ellis if I can't build it myself.
I should have pictures of mine soon, just got to get them off my in-laws camera.

Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What does Mr Ellis charge for such a scabbard?
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jeff. Here is a link to Triton Works http://www.tritonworks.com/ Mr Ellis has three lines of scabbards. One is a more basic (but still pretty nice looking if you ask me) line of scabbards. These are very reasonably priced, although I don't really know specifics off the top of my head. The second line is a very strict historical line, with more research involved, to make a scabbard that really fits the sword, and time period you are looking for. The other line Mr Ellis makes is more a fantasy based line. I think that most people would agree that these scabbards are a good value.

Hope this helps,

Kenton
Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,

Thanks, I went to that website and will be contacting him to see about something in the Trident line for my Albion Crecy.
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally, pictures.
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love it! Even though I own it, I keep forgetting how much it tapers at the end. I think to myself everytime I see mine "Wow, that 's pointy" Happy

I really like the grip; I kind of regret leaving the grip on mine just plain black.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first Albion: the Crecy
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: