Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A celtic concept by Patrick Barta Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
You know how I feel about it, my friend. Can't wait to have the chance to oogle and get my grimy fingers all over it when the beauty arrives. Wink Like you and Nathan, I'm especially intrigued by the scabbard. The project as a whole should be an exceptionally nice add-on to your collection.

-Greg

I might let 'cha touch it, if you talk dirty to me. Wink
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn, that's pretty, Patrick. I am just at the beginning of my wait for his Abingdon Sword. Sad But the time period will give me enough time to finsh saving up the funds. I can only hope tha the dollar doesn't contiue its precipitous slide against the EURO.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Damn, that's pretty, Patrick. I am just at the beginning of my wait for his Abingdon Sword. Sad But the time period will give me enough time to finsh saving up the funds. I can only hope tha the dollar doesn't contiue its precipitous slide against the EURO.

Thanks Hugh. The exchange rate was one of the things that influenced my decision when Patrick asked to change the order to something celtic. I've been wanting a sword like this one and it's nearly half the price of the original order, so it's a good choice all the way around.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: A Question         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick ... I hadn't thought you were interested in Migration Era Swords, is this
a new direction or just me missing things ?

Also, did you or have the two of you considered a change-up in the design of the
wood fittings ? Something less " standard " looking, if you follow -- which is NOT
to say the idea won't look outstanding. B-)
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew, I don't believe that the sword is Migration Era. It appears more La Tene Celtic, and Pre-Roman to me.
Hugh
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Question         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Hi Patrick ... I hadn't thought you were interested in Migration Era Swords, is this
a new direction or just me missing things ?

Also, did you or have the two of you considered a change-up in the design of the
wood fittings ? Something less " standard " looking, if you follow -- which is NOT
to say the idea won't look outstanding. B-)

Actually, I have a huge interest in migration era weapons, but this ain't one. Wink I'm absolutely fascinated by migration era swords, the composite use of different materials in their construction is hugely interesting to me. The highly decorated helms of the period are great and don't get me started on helms using things like horn plates, such as the Benty Grange example, oh my. Whenever the word "heroic" springs to mind I always envision figures dressed in migration era kit, ala Beowulf, etc. The only reason I don't own several swords of that design is because there really aren't any satisfactory ones on the production market and custom jobs are hugely expensive. In spite of the cost, after this project is done I'm going to place another order with Patrick and it will be a migration era sword, with a ring hilt.

This current project represents a celtic sword from the mid-La Tene era, also known as La Tene 2. Roughly 100-150 B.C. I've always been highly intrigued by celtic arms and culture. Their metal working was second to none for the era and more advanced than most. (as was their culture in many ways) I'm also fascinated by their artwork and its incorporation into their arms, hence my choice to go with the fully engraved scabbard on this sword. I'm as excited about that as the sword itself.

I haven't considered any change to the hilt and probably won't. This hilt is similar to Nate Bells sword and I like the way that one felt in the hand as well as liking the overall design. There are similar if vague designs in some period artwork so even if Patrick is a bit creative with the hilt the basic principle won't be far from the established norm. Since hardly any celtic swords retain their hilt components I don't really want to get too far away from standard because of the danger of getting into fantasy territory. Besides, as I've said before I prefer to be a very hands-off customer and like to give the maker a lot of creative freedom, without hamstringing them with my ideas.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Wed 10 Jan, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Patrick! That looks beautiful! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Big Grin
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's some further information I received from Patrick concerning the swords design.

Here are two swords that served as inspiration.

Number three in this photo. One of the swords Patrick was able to have in-hand is very similar to this one and is located in Moravia.

His comments on the hilt design.
Quote:
The hilts of 99% of celtic swords aren´t known,my design is in
accordance with well-known bas-relief from Pergamon with celtic
weapons.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick! I don't believe I've ever seen a La Tene blade shaped quite like these before, though to be honest I might simply have been missing some of the subtleties as a result of my preconceptions. The slight but noticeable "waisting" on these examples is really very elegant. This is an exciting project indeed, I can't wait to see it take shape.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Hugh, Patrick, My bad -- I stand corrected ! B-)

Having based a project of my own on a historical representative, I enjoy seeing you
have as well. It will be exciting if you're able to share updates and the eventual result.

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Matthew, I don't believe that the sword is Migration Era. It appears more La Tene Celtic, and Pre-Roman to me.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.L. Miller wrote:
Thanks Patrick! I don't believe I've ever seen a La Tene blade shaped quite like these before, though to be honest I might simply have been missing some of the subtleties as a result of my preconceptions. The slight but noticeable "waisting" on these examples is really very elegant. This is an exciting project indeed, I can't wait to see it take shape.

In the second photo I don't know how much of the waisting can be attributed to corrosion over design. (then again, I haven't had the things in hand and won't presume to argue with someone who has) Number three in the first photo definitely looks to be in good shape, so as to give us a clear indication of its design.

I'm very eager to see this one completed.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, I cannot remember where I read it, but I have read somewhere that the waisted design of the Mainz gladius was not really the design but of over sharpening!?! Another overcooked theory, IMO.
Hugh
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Patrick, I cannot remember where I read it, but I have read somewhere that the waisted design of the Mainz gladius was not really the design but of over sharpening!?! Another overcooked theory, IMO.

I'd agree, on the theory being overcooked. It would be awfully coincidental for a blade to be worn down by sharpening yet still maintain an equal proportion in its profile. A similar claim could be made about number three in the first photo. However, in that instance I'd find that level of wear so far back on the blade, well behind the blades primary cutting area, to be a bit unusual.
Piet Van Dam

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How much would a replica like this cost
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Piet Van Dam wrote:
How much would a replica like this cost

Patrick quoted me a price of 1000 euro.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a quick update: Last week I received a message from Patrick stating the blade had been forged and was going to heat treatment next. We're moving along. Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Just a quick update: Last week I received a message from Patrick stating the blade had been forged and was going to heat treatment next. We're moving along. Big Grin

That's $1312 according to a currency converter: Seems like a good price for a custom forged sword of the quality and aesthetics one can expect from such a talented maker. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PK received word today from Mr. Barta that the Celtic sword is finished. All I have to say is WOW!!!!! This is one beautiful sword and scabbard. Love how the combo works so well. Congrats to Patrick on another fine work of art to add to his collection. Am I jealous? Darn tootin I am!!! Big Grin

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good God... It looks to be one of Bárta's best yet. Please do congratulate Patrick for us! The contrasting wood and bone in the hilt, the bronze accents, that scabbard.... gorgeous.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LaTene swords are not necessarily my thing, but that one could convert me! Big Grin
Hugh

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A celtic concept by Patrick Barta
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: