Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gauntlet Advise Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Gauntlet Advise         Reply with quote

I will be looking for some Gauntlets for my kit....as I had planed to use Knights armoury this leaves me in a little bit of a pickle. Now I have tried useing the search function but was unable to come up with anything usefull so I will pose the question here. Have any of you hade any experiance with these http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/knights-a...-9814.html or with these http://www.gdfbglobal.com/glpcat/clnt_cat_ep....d=10189242 or what do you think based on looks? I realize that I could go with another maker but I really cant afford $400 or more for the gauntlets. Once I have the money I might also see if there is someone who would part with their Lewis Moore's. My last option would be to go with Merc Tailor but these are a bit high for me and I would prefer Hourglass gauntlets. Tell me what you think
Thanks
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sent Merc Tailor an email on Aug 31st about hourglass gauntlets. They said: "Troy, we have the prototyping done on them ( along w/ about half a dozen other items), the damands of our production schedual we haven't had time to do a production run. Keep an eye on the site, we'll get a window at some point to get them out." So, they may be an option if all else fails. I guess it really depends on how quickly you want them. Oleg Yanchuk is going to make some for me along with a custom 14th century suit of armour. I had looked at Knights armoury as well. I don't know if this helps but I wish you well on your quest. Happy
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Advise         Reply with quote

Shawn Henthorn wrote:
I will be looking for some Gauntlets for my kit....as I had planed to use Knights armoury this leaves me in a little bit of a pickle. Now I have tried useing the search function but was unable to come up with anything usefull so I will pose the question here. Have any of you hade any experiance with these http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/knights-a...-9814.html or with these http://www.gdfbglobal.com/glpcat/clnt_cat_ep....d=10189242 or what do you think based on looks? I realize that I could go with another maker but I really cant afford $400 or more for the gauntlets. Once I have the money I might also see if there is someone who would part with their Lewis Moore's. My last option would be to go with Merc Tailor but these are a bit high for me and I would prefer Hourglass gauntlets. Tell me what you think
Thanks

Actually, I'd like some feedback on those GDFB gauntlets as an affordable alternative for my students. $113USD right to your door isn't something you should shake a stick at!

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re gaunts Question         Reply with quote

Hi Jason............
I cant speak for the other guys but I have several items from GDFB....Gambeson, Arming cap, Halberd, Pollaxe, Shoes, Buckler, Fist-Buckler, etc. They are EXCELLENT value...very well made and robust ! Our group does foot-tourney combat as authentic as possable ( late 14thC.)... and all the guys agree that GDFB items are not only excellent value but very well made indeed ! I dont have the Gaunts ( yet ) but I am sure they would be of the same quality.

Hope this helps........cheers ![/b]

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Troy, thanks for the heads up about teh Merc Tailor gauntlets, maybe they will be cheaper that the wisby style as the are a bit more simple.
Hi Jason, yeah the $113 is what drew my attention to them but that is also what makes me more than a little nervous about their quality.
Oh hey Merv, you were posting at teh same time I was Big Grin I have heard alot of good about GDFB stuff and it usually looks better in person than the web site would indicate but still that price is to good to be true...and you know what they say Wink
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know. I was just lent a GDFB helmet by a friend and it was a very sturdy (2mm) helmet and worked perfect. The lines were very good and the price he paid for it was very good. I then took it home to polish and clean it up as one should after a battle and after a much closer look think it still a great helmet. I have not seen their gauntlets but have seen all sorts of their stuff and have been very impressed by them so far especially their prices..

RPM
Christoffer Lorang Dahl

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Gauntlets from GDFB         Reply with quote

Hi!

I am in just the same position as you, looking for some nice hourglass gauntlets. I tried the gauntlets from GDFB at a reseller in Sweden, but they werent my cup of tea. The place between the thumb and the index-finger was quite sharp and narrow, and would, in my opinion destroy the grip of the sword after some time. Apart from that, they were OK, not the best I´ve seen, but gauntlets get beat up after some time anyway, dont they? Big Grin

Gauntlets seems to be my nemesis in my pursuit for a complete harness. I need some serious quality gauntlets, but the only ones I have found is made right here in Norway and the prices are accordingly .

Let me know if you find something nice!

Allso; check my post, some people gave me some good tips there.

Best wishes Christoffer

Heavy metal!
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Cristoffer, Yeah I had looked through that subject but some how I had missed your post about them. I wonder if I coudnt grind or file them down there to alleviate that problem. Other than that how was the articulation and were the gloves any good ? How is their "standard" fit , I am wondering if they would work well with my size large hands ?
Christoffer Lorang Dahl

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you could grind them down, but you would ruin the brass-finish that goes around the edge. But then again, if protection is your primary request and you are a bit handy, it wouldnt be a problem.

As for the fit, my hand is quite normal, size 8-9. The fit was quite OK, but my fingertips were "butting" against the tip of the gloves. The size was supposed to be normal, but they seems a bit to short on the fingers. Apart for that they seemed good. What kind of fighting do you do? I am into fiore/tahlofer and with all the turns of the wrist, the protection around the wrist was misplased sometimes. But I am seriously picky about my gauntlets.

I hope I didnt ruin everything for you, but in my opinion the gauntlets is one of the most imporant pieces of armour, and demand some time when choosing.

Christoffer

Heavy metal!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Advise         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:
Shawn Henthorn wrote:
Thanks

Actually, I'd like some feedback on those GDFB gauntlets as an affordable alternative for my students. $113USD right to your door isn't something you should shake a stick at!

One of our guys is bringing in a batch of stuff from GDFB India at the moment. What I've seen so far is encouraging but requires minor modification to be functional. I consider the armour bits I've seen as semi finished kits. If you expect to use it right out of the box, prepare to be disappointed. Still, its cheaper and easier than making them from scratch. I do think the Indian guys are trying to make a useable product and have improved their designs the past couple years. Since you can't go wrong with their rivetted mail price, a group order of various things reduces the overall bite for shipping. Worth considering for those with more spare time than spare cash. Idea
Christoffer Lorang Dahl

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi again Shawn!

How did your search for gauntlets turn out? I am still having problems deciding what to get for myself.

Christoffer

Heavy metal!
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hasnt yet. I am waiting to see what the new ones from Mercs Tailor will be like and if the price is right i will likely go with them. Un less by some miracle I can get my hands on some Lewis Moores.
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kel!

Have you already seen those GDFB hourglass gauntlets? Do you consider them to be good protection for WMA sparring? What sorts of modifications do they need to be serviceable?
Colin F.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given that people are looking at GDFB stuff, has anyone had any experience with their Milanese Gauntlets (or their gambeson for that matter!)? I'm looking to get a pair of gauntlets as I begin to get a decent set of sparring protection together (i.e. fencing mask, gauntlets, gambeson).

cheers,

Colin

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Alexander Borum

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

in regards to GDFB - im not really that happy with my dealings with them.

i have had so great a hazzle with them, that they got on my blacklist. - this is however, not based on the actual goods (for the most part) but more on customer relations and stuff like that. in regards to their gear, sure its good value for your money - nothing fancy, but sturdy and durable. - personaly ive handeled both their plate and chain based armour - both was okay quality - but not exactly craftsmanship. but still, sturdy and durable.

anyways, i wont go into to much detail as to my previous experices with them in this thread, as it would like just be a derail on a promising discussion

-/ Alexander K. Borum
Risto Rautiainen

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I finally got the GDFB hourglass gauntlets I ordered in November last year. Cost me 139eur including shipping. One thing I noticed is that when using an icepick grip with my rondel dagger the angle of the dagger is a bit weird. See this pic:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV26cHFr

It's a bit distorted because I took the pic by myself, but I can't get the angle to be any bigger than 90 degrees. Is this common with hourglass gauntlets?

Here's a couple of more:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1zAMji
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1zBmJr

They are not a piece of art in any way, but worth the money I think. The scales of the right thumb were off the glove when they came but that was easily fixed with a bit of glue.
Christoffer Lorang Dahl

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Risto - I made a pair of hourglass mittons a long time ago, they look like trash but kept me safe in those newbie-years. One thing I was cautious about was making the "upper" part protecting the armwrist wide enough. If the angle on the hourglass-shape is not curved enough, you get the problem you are experiencing.

I think you would avoid this problem with a more quality-gauntlet, but then again, you tend to get what you pay for with armour. Different needs and different uses - production meets demand.

How is the grip between the thumb and index-finger? Do you have enough room for a good grip?

I have ordered a pair of gauntlets from a guy in Poland, should have them in a couple of months.

Heavy metal!
Risto Rautiainen

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer Christoffer.

Christoffer Lorang Dahl wrote:
One thing I was cautious about was making the "upper" part protecting the armwrist wide enough.

Well it should be wide enough... I think it has something to do with the finger lames being way too wide (about 33mm). I think I'll try to fix that by myself.

Christoffer Lorang Dahl wrote:
How is the grip between the thumb and index-finger? Do you have enough room for a good grip?

Yep there's enough room there. The first thing that would hinder the grip is the too wide finger lames. And yesterday I noticed that the cuff eats up the grip of my sword, but not where the thumb and the index finger are, but on the pinky side. And this happens only when using a sword one handed. Luckily this happens on that side as it is easily fixed. I do fiore and have worked through some solo work with them and they seem to be okay. Well, I'll know better when I tune them a bit and use them some more.
Christoffer Lorang Dahl

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As long as you can do the "Posta de finestra" without any trouble, you are OK, right? ;-)

As mentioned by many others, I think GDFB should be considered as a "finish it yourself", as armoronline and such.

Anyway, thank you so much for the feedback on the gauntlets, especialy the use with a sword. I am sure the rest of the people in my group will welcome any info on them, as many have considered buying them.

Good luck!

Heavy metal!
Risto Rautiainen

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad it's of use. I can do posta di fenestra easily in most cases. I am a right hander. And if I try to do it to the right in a forward weighted position with my right foot forward, then I REALLY need to twist my upper body to get the blade properly aligned. But there's really not that many situations you need to do that, is there. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gauntlet Advise
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic