Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Revival Clothing's "How a Man Shall Be Armed" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Revival Clothing's "How a Man Shall Be Armed"         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Revival Clothing just put this nice little article up on how to don a 14th century harness:

http://www.revivalclothing.com/frame.php?cont...Arming.htm

Starring everybody's favorite German longsword slinger and all around nice guy Christian Tobler. Happy

The day I see "this" man (Christian Tobler) standing in front of me with a Bec De Corbin, it is time to throw down my sword and run like hell! Laughing Out Loud

Actually, I have both of Mr. Tobler's books and they are a treasure to me, having spent some years in karate before my back started having serious problems and attaining my life long goal of black belt. I can recognize a true master of his art and most certainly Christian Tobler is a profound master of his art!

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Bob

Great pictures and very informative!
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent article gentlemen. Very informative and the photos really add to the experience. Quick questions. I have not commonly seen gambeson's with built-in arming points. I've always thought of them as just padding under the armor. Are attached points an historical norm for this period? Do Revival gambesons come with arming points already attached or is this an option? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the compliments!

The short answer is that we have no idea how arming points were set up in the 14th century. The gambeson itself is an extrapolated thing, based upon related garments. Even for the 15th century, our information no the exact configuration of arming wear is scant.

The Revival gambesons do not come with points already attached. I added the leather tabs hold them. The reason we don't include them is that we tried this with an earlier iteration of the product and found that there was little consistency in where our customers needed them to be.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Revival Clothing's "How a Man Shall Be Armed"
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: